Please see below for information about PARKING and ROAD CLOSURES on Carnival night.
|Saturday 16th March 2013 – Sunday 17th March 2013|
|Somerset Road||Intersection of Buitengracht St and Somerset Road||14.00 – 01.00|
|Chiappini Street||Prestwich Street and Somerset Road||14.00 – 01.00|
|Chiappini Street||Battery Centre and Somerset Road||14.00 – 01.00|
|Hudson Street||Harley Davidson and Somerset Road||14.00 – 01.00|
|Dixon Street||Cubana and Somerset Road||14.00 – 01.00|
|Prestwich Street||Alfred Street and Chiappini Street||08.00 – 01.00|
|Prestwich street||On westside of Alfred Intersection||17.00 – 01.00|
|Alfred Street||Schiebe Street and Somerset Road||14.00 – 01.00|
|Alfred Street||Prestwich and Somerset||17.00 – 01.00|
|Alfred Street||Prestwich & Hospital street (Friday 15th – Sun 17th)||08.00 – 01.00|
|Napier Street||Sacred Heart Church and Somerset Road||14.00 – 01.00|
|Moreland Street||Napier Street and Somerset Road||14.00 – 01.00|
|Cobern Street||Intersection Prestwich||14.00 – 01.00|
|Liddle Street||Intersection Prestwich||14.00 – 01.00|
|De Smit Street||Intersection Somerset Road||14.00 – 01.00|
|Ebenezer Road||VJ Hotel Parking Entrance and Somerset Road||14.00 – 01.00|
|Highfield Road||Highfield Street and Somerset Road (limited access from 14h00-17h00)||14.00 – 01.00|
|Boundary Road||Intersection Somerset Road (limited access from 14h00-17h00)||14.00 – 01.00|
|Wessels Road||Intersection Somerset Road (limited access from 14h00-17h00)||14.00 – 01.00|
|Exhibition Ter||Intersection Main Road (limited access from 14h00-17h00)||14.00 – 01.00|
|Ashstead Road||Intersection Main Road (limited access from 14h00-17h00)||14.00 – 01.00|
|Somerset Road||CBD bound carriage way at the intersection of Ashstead Road Granger Bay Blvd and Somerset Road (limited access from 14h00-17h00)||14.00 – 01.00|
|Granger Bay Blvd||Helen Suzman Blvd traffic circle to Main Road (limited access from 14h00-17h00)||14.00 – 01.00|
|Somerset Road||Highfield Street and Vesperdene Road, Seapoint bound Carriage way||14.00 – 01.00|
|Main Road||Seapoint bound carriage way between Upper Portswood Road and York Road||14.00 – 01.00|
|Main Road||Varneys Road and Granger Bay Blvd CBD bound carriage way (vehicles needing to access car park behind ultra liquer can do so)||19.00 – 01.00|
Impact of Road Closures
Public transport services that, for any portion of their routes, operate along closed or restricted roads may have some route section deviations. Normal scheduled bus services will be affected by these road closures in the Green Point area as well as the CBD from 14.00h on the 16th March 2013.
Parking restrictions will be enforced in residential areas adjacent to the Fan Walk from 00.00 to 24.00 on the 16th March 2013. Motorists are advised to obey the signage.
Limited parking is available for private vehicles in the stadium precinct. Parking tickets are available at parking venue. On street in the CBD will be available but no additional security will be provided. Parking tariffs will apply until 18.00 when on street parking becomes free of charge.
V & A Waterfront has approximately 3,500 parking bays available to the general public. There is a charge associated with this parking Parking is available at the Foreshore and at Culomberg
People with Disabilities
Dedicated parking has been allocated at Gallows Hill. Only people with an official disability permit from the City will be allowed to park in this dedicated parking area.
MyCiti Bus services
Extended service Schedules on Saturday 16 March
Civic Centre – Stadium From 07.20h – Every 20 minutes - 22.25h last bus
Stadium – Civic Centre From 07.43h – Every 20 minutes - 00.13h last bus (arrives Civic Centre at 00.20h)
Gardens to Civic Centre From 07.00h – Every 20 minutes – 00.05h last bus (arrives Civic Centre at 00.21h) (download pdf)
Civic Centre – Gardens From 06:40h - Every 20 minutes – 00.25h last bus (arrives at Gardens at 00.40h)
Table View to Civic Centre From 06.40h – Every 20 minutes – 23.55h last bus (arrives Civic Centre at 00.29h) (download pdf)
Civic Centre – Table View From 06:05h - Every 20 minutes – 00.20h last bus (arrives Civic Centre at 00.54h)
Route F14 Big Bay – Tableview – Parklands (download pdf)
Last bus leaves Bus Turnaround Point at 00.20h and arrives in Table View at 00.35.
Last bus Tableview to Tableview leaves 00.55h, arrives back 01.20
Last bus leaves Tableview 00.55h and arrives back at Turnaround Point at 01.00h
Route F15 Parklands – Tableview – Blouberg Sands (download pdf)
Last bus leaves Tyrall 00.25h, arrives at Tableview 00.50h.
Last bus Tableview to Tableview leaves 00.55, arrives back 01.30
Last bus leaves Tableview 00.50, arrives at Tyrall 01.10
Route F16 Blouberg Sands – Parklands – Tableview (download pdf)
Last bus leaves Tyrall 00.27h, arrives at Tableview 00.50h.
Last bus leaves Tableview 00.55h, arrives Tyrall 01.25
Metrorail services (please note that Metrorail is NOT putting on any extended service trains and so there will be NO trains home after the Carnival).
1. Cape Flats Line – Cpt to Retreat (via Athlone) – Last train leaves at 19.10h
2. Northern Line – Bellville (via Monte Vista) – Last train leaves at 14:38h
3. Central Line – Cpt to Kapteinsklip – Last train leaves at 19:45h
4. Central Line – Cpt to Chris Hani – Last train leaves at 19.50h
Frequently Asked Questions about the Carnival
- Where will the 2014 Cape Town Carnival parade take place?
- Fan Walk, Somerset Road, Greenpoint, Cape Town.
- Is it just a parade?
- The Carnival is the culmination of a year long process of community building, rehearsals, choreography, float building and more. On the day of the parade festivities kick off at 5.00 pm. The parade itself begins at 7.00 pm.
- When does the parade take place?
- The next Cape Town Carnival parade begins at 7.00 pm on Saturday 15th March 2014. Activities, including live music will start at 5.00 pm.
- What is the date for the Cape Town Carnival procession for 2015?
- The Cape Town Carnival procession will take place on the 14th March 2015.
- How does the Carnival parade work?
- The parade is a large spectacular performance by 12 Carnival Academies consisting of approximately 2000 dancers and 9 large floats moving rhythmically down the Fan Walk, Somerset Road. There is viewing for the public all along the route and the Carnival is free of charge.
- What are Carnival Academies?
- A Carnival Academy is a group of dance schools from a genre of dance or geographical area, consisting of approximately 150 community dancers/performers. There are also 6 Lead Dancers, who support the Academy performance.
- Can food and drinks be purchased at Carnival?
- Yes. The Fan Walk is full of bars, restaurants, cafes and fast food outlets. Additional official Carnival meals and beverages will be available on the street, along the procession route, in stands and marquees.
- Will there be Carnival merchandise on sale?
- Yes, vendors will be selling official Carnival merchandise.
- What is the best way to come into the city?
- Details of the buses and trains running on Carnival day will be confirmed closer to the time and posted up here and elsewhere on the website.